The Security of your Oil Tank
If you live in a remote location then it makes sense to take some security precautions to make sure that your oil is not stolen. The oil in your tank is valuable and therefore it can be prone to theft by unscrupulous thieves. To guard against this we would advise the following:
• Fitting suitable locks, lockable valve or lockable caps depending on the type of oil tank you have.
• Consider installing an electronic oil level gauge which sets off an audible alarm when the tank drops to below a quarter full. These are good for general monitoring anyway but they will also warn you if somebody is helping themselves to your oil.
• Use control switches to stop the flow of oil when the tank is not being used.
• Defensive planting around your tank works well. Criminals do not want to force their way through hedges and thickets to get to your tank.
• Additional security such as a trellis, wall, or wooden/metal fence will offer good protection as long as you ensure accessibility for refills.
• General garden security ensuring that back gates and sheds are locked will stop further opportunistic crime.
• Positioning security lights or even CCTV to monitor the tank will act as an excellent deterrent to the would-be thief.
• Apply warning stickers to your tank to indicate that it is alarmed and constantly monitored.
Unfortunately during the winter months, domestic and agricultural fuel theft steadily rises as thieves embark on stealing fuel to sell on and make money. Make sure that you do all that you can to stop this from happening to you.
If you would like to talk to us about our range of storage tanks, call us today on 0800 917 7493.