Advice for Keeping Your Home Warm This Winter
If you live in the countryside and your off-mains then it’s important that you are well prepared for the winter months. The last thing you need if there’s a big snowfall is to find out that your low on oil and your heating is about to run out!
So, as winter starts to kick in, here are our top tips to make sure you stay warm and cosy:
1. Order enough oil to get you through winter.
2. Check the oil levels in your tank regularly. You certainly don’t want any leaks this time of year so keep a look out.
3. Get your boiler and oil tank serviced by an OFTEC registered engineer. Your heating is going to get a lot of use so you definitely want to avoid any breakdowns.
4. Think about improving your thermostats and system controls so that you get the most cost effective use out of your heating.
5. Bleed your radiators so that they give you maximum performance.
6. If you have a real fire make sure that you get your chimney swept to improve heating performance and for general safety.
7. If you haven’t done so already, look into home insulation and how you can save more on your heating bill.
8. Make sure you have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted to ensure safety.
9. Check on your elderly neighbours to make sure they are okay.
10. Wrap up yourself! It’s amazing how putting on a few layers or having a blanket over your legs whilst watching the TV will keep you warm and cosy. You may even end up turning the heating down!